We have temporarily suspended farm tours due to the effects of the drought. Please call or check back with us for updates.
Nestled in a quiet valley between two mountains lies Peaceful Pastures; as a real, working farm, Jenny and Darrin can take you on a journey into the world of horses, cattle, chickens, ducks, geese, sheep and goats as great-grandma knew them. Visit a family owned, diversified farm before they all dwindle away. While you are here you will delight in fluffy sheep, baby goats, pastured poultry and sloe-eyed calves in the valley of the Tennessee mountains.
Peaceful Pastures is offering Farm Tours during the months of April through October. Guests will be able to see a real working farm, not a tourism simulation. As each visit includes the activities of that particular day, every tour is unique and different.
You'll get to see:
- Cattle, sheep, goats and even pigs (!!) grazing in green pastures and the guard dogs that tend to them.
- Poultry in a natural pasture, not the standard "housed" environment
- Our heritage breed sheep and some examples of their wool.
- In addition, each member of the tour will receive a sample sized bar of our own handmade soaps as a souvenir!
Tours are scheduled for 9:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. on Wednesdays and Fridays.
Reservations are required. As we are a working family farm, we may not be able to take all requests but well see what we can do. All tours will take place in the cooler mornings when the animals are most active.
Farm tours are offered during the months of April through October. April & May are the best months to see the babies (lambs, kids and calves)!!
There is a $50 charge and this will allow for up to 10 people to participate..
We do not have a public restroom so please remember to stop before you get to the farm!
The designated time is that time at which your tour will start. Arrive at least 5-10 minutes early to allow ample time for parking, unloading and paperwork. The tour is 45 minutes to 1 hour in length (including a brief Q&A session at the end) and involves approximately mile of walking on graveled and/or uneven surfaces. Once the tour begins, the group must stay together and complete the tour. All members of your party must participate in the tour; the only exception is for licensed school bus drivers.
Do any members of your party have Special Needs? If so, please let us know in advance
so that we might customize the tour to your specifics.
Tips to help you enjoy your morning at the farm:
- Wear farm appropriate shoes. Sandals and flip flops are not recommended. The tour involves 1/4-1/2 mile of slow walking.
- No strollers as our terrain is not stroller friendly.
- Bring a camera! We are proud of our animals and their natural beauty, so pictures are encouraged.
- Please keep your party together during all times at the tour. It's hard for everyone to see and hear everything if we have to wait for others to catch up.
- We recommend at least 1 adult per 6-8 children.
- If it rains, your tour will be rescheduled.
- Tours are conducted by Jenny Drake or a Peaceful Pastures Intern. Miss Jenny or Mister Darrin will conduct the 10-15 minute Q&A session at the end of the tour.
- Click here for directions to the farm. Allow at least 1 hour travel time from the Nashville Airport, 50 minutes from Cookeville, 3.5 hours from Chattanooga.
- Please allow AMPLE time for the trip. If you are going to be late, CALL US. We cannot guarantee your reservation will be held for that day if you are not here and ready to go at the start time of your tour.
- Our farm is strictly SMOKE FREE.
- Do NOT bring a dog with you, even if you plan for it to remain in the vehicle.
- Violation of either of the above two items will result in immediate termination of the tour.
- We do not have a public restroom so please remember to stop before you arrive at the farm
Peaceful Pastures, 69 Cowan Valley Lane, Hickman, TN 38567 (615) 683-4291
Our farm is located an hour east of Nashville, just 7 miles off Interstate 40.